Roofing Shingles Vs. Cedar Shakes Costs, Plus Pros & Cons In 2022
Roofing Shingles Vs. Cedar Shakes
The most common types of weather protection for homes are shingles and cedar shakes. Both are affordable in the long run, but the prices differ. What’s the difference between the different kinds of roofing? Which should you pick for your home in 2022? Let’s ask Absolute Exteriors, your top-rated roofing contractors, and we will look into it. If you’re looking for a company to help you with your roof, don’t hesitate to contact us at (630) 439-5298! You can also check out our page to see what our clients have to say.
Roofing Shingles Vs. Cedar Shakes In 2022
When it comes to roofing, there are a lot of options. You’ve got the cedar shakes and the roof shingles. They’re both great options, but they each have pros and cons.
Let’s start with cedar shakes. These are made from real cedar trees, so that they will be more expensive than other kinds of roofs. But they’re also durable—shakes last much longer than shingles. If you choose a metal roof, your shakes will stay beautiful for many years after you install it. Metal roofs don’t rust or corrode as other roofs do.
Most people today choose roof shingles for their homes. These shingles are made from asphalt and come in different colors. You can choose the color that looks best with the color scheme of your home. Installing them yourself is easy, or you can hire a handyman to do it for you. Most roofs last about 20 years, but the roof might wear out sooner in areas with strong winds or hail storms.
So, which is the better option for you? It depends on your budget and what you’re looking for in a roof. Cedar shakes are a great choice if you want something that will last a long time and look great. But shingles are probably the way to go if you’re looking for an easy installation and a more affordable roof.
Pros & Cons Of Roofing Shingles And Cedar Shakes
You’ve got a big problem on your hands and have to solve it quickly. Are you unsure what kind of roof you want, wood or asphalt shingles? Different things can impact your home and future enjoyment. You might not expect it, but these things can make a difference. So what are the pros and cons of roofing shingles vs. cedar shakes?
- Shingles are easy to install. Professionals can install them, but DIYers can also do them.
- They’re a great way to add color and style to any home.
- Shingles can help your house stay more relaxed in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Shingles are not as durable as other roofing materials. They need to be replaced every 15 years or so, depending on how much sun exposure your roof gets.
- If your shingles are broken, it can be costly to fix them, especially if you have to replace them all at once.
- Shingles are more likely to get damaged by storms than other types of roofing. So, shingles might not be the best option if you live in an area prone to hurricanes or tornadoes.
- Cedar shakes are a bit more durable than shingles. They can last up to 30 years, depending on the quality of the shakes and how they’re installed.
- Cedar shakes offer a unique look that can add character to any home.
- They’re a good choice for eco-friendly homeowners since they’re made from a renewable resource.
- Cedar shakes are more expensive than shingles, upfront and over time.
- They’re not as easy to install as shingles, so you’ll likely need to hire a professional to do it for you.
- Cedar shakes can be more susceptible to rot and insect damage than other roofing materials. So, shakes might not be the best option if you live in an area with a lot of moisture or insects.
All in all, there are pros and cons to both shingles and cedar shakes. It’s important to carefully weigh those pros and cons to decide which roofing material suits your home. If you’re looking for roofing companies near me, look further than Absolute Exterior!
How Much Does It Cost To Install?
You might wonder how much it will cost to put shingles or cedar shakes on the roof of your house.
The good news is that it’s easy to figure out how much it will cost to put shingles or cedar shakes on your roof. This is because there are a lot of factors that go into determining the price of your project. Follow these steps to get started:
- Decide whether you want to use shingles on roofs or cedar shakes.
- Find out how many square feet your roof covers to know how much roofing material you need. You can ask your insurance company for this information.
- Find out if any of the materials on your roof need to be removed before you put new ones on.
- Ask several contractors in your area who work on home construction projects like this one to give you bids.
- Once you’ve received a few estimates, compare them to find the best deal.
The cost of putting shingles or cedar shakes on your roof will depend on your house’s size and what kind of material you choose.
It’s important to remember that not every outside is the same. Choosing the wrong material for the outside of your house could cost you money in the long run. This is because the wrong material might not be very good at saving energy. It could also make your house more likely to leak water or make it look different. Learning about the different types of materials is important before you choose one. Reviews from people who have used the material can help you make the right choice. The tradesman at Absolute Exterior explains this: “Not only the price matters. It’s all about how good it is.” Contact us today at (630) 439-5298 to get started!
Frequently Asked Questions
Asphalt shingles are the most cost-effective roofing material for your upcoming roof replacement if you’re on a tight budget. While asphalt is the least expensive roofing material, it has three types that varies in price and affect how much you’ll pay for your roof replacement.
Asphalt shingles are the best choice for most houses because they are relatively lightweight, inexpensive, and simple to install. They are available in sheets that are layered on a roof to create the appearance of more expensive single shingles, such as cedar and slate, that are installed one shingle at a time.
Concrete, clay, and slate tiles are the most durable roofing materials. These materials outperform other natural products, such as wood shakes, as well as all manufactured roofing materials, such as asphalt shingles and metal roofing.
1-It is not the most long-lasting roofing material. High winds can cause shingle damage. Mildew is a common issue. 2-It’s not the most energy-efficient choice.
Because their materials can withstand harsh weather conditions, composite roofing shingles are typically more durable than asphalt shingles. Both options have water-resistance properties that aid in the prevention of algae growth. Composite shingles can withstand higher wind speeds ranging from 110 to 190 mph.
Roofing Material Options to Consider When Replacing a Roof When replacing your roof, you can choose from a number of different roofing materials. Things are going to get loud. You Should Do Your Research. Concentrate on Quality. Inquire about roof removal. Inquire about waste disposal. Read the paperwork thoroughly.
Light-colored and dark-colored shingles can both last longer if properly maintained. Light-colored shingles have only one tested and proven benefit: they help us keep the indoor temperature cooler during the hot summer months.
Luxury asphalt shingles have the longest lifespan of any asphalt shingle because they are thicker. With that in mind, luxury asphalt shingles should last for up to 30 years. In ideal conditions, you can raise that figure even higher. Just keep in mind that numerous factors influence the life of a roof.